- Rubber trees scientific name is HevasBrasiliensis(family of Euphorbiaceous), commonly known as Para rubber tree, sharing tree or Seringueira.
- Indian Rubber tree is called the Ficus Elastica.
- It can reach a height of up to 100 feet (30 meters).
- Plantation trees are generally smaller because they are cut down once latex production declines after 30 years.
- It has soft wood and high branching limbs, large, thick, oblong leaves and fig like fruits in pairs along the branches.
- The latex vessels are in the bark and the white or yellow latex occurs mostly in the phloem.
- The milky fluid that oozes from any slash or wound to the bark, coagulates to form latex / rubber.
- World Production of Natural Rubber in 2015 is estimated to be 12.314 million tons up by 199 million tons from 2014
- India produced 0.575 million tons in 2015 with a 4.7% share of global production
- Thailand is the biggest producer in the world with 4.473 million tons and a 36.3% share of global production
- The domestic natural rubber production in 2015 was estimated to be 0.575 million tons tons compared to 0.705 million tons the previous year, a decrease of 0.130 million tons.
- The rubber imports during 2015 were 0.458 million tons compared to 0.448 million tons during 2014.
- The domestic natural rubber consumption in 2015 was 0.994 million tons
- The natural rubber exports during 2010 were 0.30 Tonnes compared to 0.25 Lakh Tonnes in 2009.
- The domestic price of RSS IV was Rs. 121.41 per Kg. in 2015 compared to Rs. 136.58 per Kg. in 2014.